Cape York North Queensland Trail Bike Tour Information

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Are the hire bikes the latest model?
A. All hire motorcycles are current model Suzuki DRZ 400cc with our specific modifications.

Q. Is there a bond?
A.There is a $1000.00 bond to be paid per hire bike. This will be refunded upon the safe return of the bike, costs for damage or repairs will be deducted from the bond. As insurance is very limited on our hire bikes, we recommend participants source personal insurance. We are very fair for damages however if we have to replace any part that is bent or broken and we cant repair it this is what you pay for, just like your own bike. We accept fair wear and tear.

Q. Do I need to have my own personal accident insurance?
A. We strongly recommend participants personal accident insurance policy, riders are responsible for their own accident insurance so that if the worst happens you are covered, if you are not in the Ambulance service we suggest you do so. All riders are required to fill out and sign an indemnity form before the start of the tour.

Q. What's the go with accommodation?
A. We use cabin and pub style accommodation with comfortable beds, satisfying meals and cold beverages on selected tours. Accommodation on the extended tours is ‘back to basics’ – by that we mean a good old tent and camp fire. Embrace the chance to sleep in the bush – it’s more satisfying than you might imagine. We do of course, supply bedding!

Q. What do I need to bring with me?
A. We will send you a detailed list of what to bring when you make your booking. A back pack and hydration pack (such as a Camel bak) min 2 LTR bladder is essential. If supplying your own bike you will need a small, but well equipped repair pack containing basic tools for minor repairs to your own bike, a few spares like tubes, levers, spark plug, chain link and spare air filter.

Q. Do I need a motorcycle licence?
A. Yes. You must have a current motorcycle rider’s license (Australian or International).

Q. Can I bring my own bike?
A. Yes. All brands are welcome but bikes must be street legal, in good working order, well muffled and fitted with good tyres with heavy duty tubes. You should carry a few spare parts with you too, such as tubes, levers, spark plugs, chain link and a pump.

Q. What about fuel and oil?
A. If riding your own bike it must be full of fuel on arrival so we can get an early start on day one. We use unleaded petrol on all tours and fill from our support vehicle. Using a two stroke? You’ll need to supply your own oil. We can of course carry this for you using our support truck. Do however; carry a 500ml spare in your pack just in case.

Q. Is riding gear supplied with the hire bike?
A. Yes, we supply all gear. If you prefer to bring your own, you’ll need, as a bare minimum:

  • a good helmet
  • pants
  • gloves
  • knee and elbow guards
  • goggles
  • boots

We also recommend:

  • body armour
  • kidney belt
  • hydration pack with a 3 litre capacity

Q. How do I pay?
A. Payments can be made by cash, cheque, money order or credit card. A booking deposit of 20% is required for all bookings with the balance to be paid prior to departure. Upon receipt of your booking application we will send you a notice confirming the departure date, as well as a general information sheet with additional advice and instructions.

Q. Can I cancel my booking?
A. Yes, in line with our cancellation policy as follows:

  • If participant advises of tour cancellation more than 30 days 50% of payment refunded, less deposit.
  • If participant advises of tour cancellation less than 30 days no refund of payment or deposit.
  • If there is a no show or tour cancellation there is a non refund of the deposit or payment.
  • There will be no refund of any unused portion of payment or deposit once tour commenced.
  • The deposit is non refundable.

If you have any other questions, please contact us.

Q. Do I need travel insurance?
A. Riding off-road motorcycles on holiday can be a thrilling way to explore…until something happens! Make sure you have adequate travel insurance covering you whilst riding a motorcycle off-road.

The tricky thing about any holiday is finding a good travel insurance policy that will cover you. Many insurers say a flat out 'no way' for covering you on a motorcycle, but there are policies out there for you. Have a good look online and you will be able to find a policy that suits you. Comprehensive cover that has unlimited medical and hospital expense, as well as emergency medical assistance would be the best option. There would be nothing worse than getting seriously injured, then have to fork out thousands of dollars for medical bills, not to mention trying to work out how you are going to get yourself home. You want to make sure that if you are riding a motorcycle you will be completely covered by your travel insurance no matter what happens, because after all, no rider no matter how experienced can ever know exactly what will happen on their motorcycle adventure.

When riding motorcycles you are taking risks with both your health and your money. So do the research, compare the quotes and different policies.

Don't just settle for the cheapest policy you find make sure they cover motorcycle riding, have peace of mind while you are on holiday.

We have had riders go through QBE for their insurance for your reference.